Friday, December 23, 2011

God's Will

My last blogpost about Mary is a good stepping stone for this one. When we are asked to do something for God, there will be many doubts. Why me? Why now? Why do this instead of that? Can't God do it alone? Who am I to be asked? This has been a topic my mind has looked at from several different angles and I'd like to share some of my insights here.

For one, God is omniscient; (S)He knows all - past, present and future. God knows what we will do and how well we will do. So if God were to ask someone to do something - great or small - wouldn't God ask the people (S)He knew ahead of time were going to accomplish the task? I believe (S)He would. Thus, there is one rock to stand on when we are asked to do something for God. (S)He KNOWS we will accept it and KNOWS we will accomplish it. Trust in God; believe in yourself. You will succeed.

Then there are the questions.

Why me? Well, well, well... There is that "me" word again. The ego. The ego convinces the human mind that we are a small inconsequential being. The sum of our life is limited to this body from birth to death; there is no more. But the truth of the matter - there is a LOT more. When God looks at us, (S)He looks upon ALL that we are, not just the small part of us that believes it is all of us. Not only is God far greater than we can conceive; so are God's CHILDREN. There is far more to humanity than we allow ourselves to believe. The doubt, the ego, tries to keep us small. Requests from God enlargen our horizon and understanding of what we - humanity - truly is. That is one reason why (S)He asks us to help. Not because God needs it, because WE do.

Why now? God is outside of time, but interacts with us within time as that is how we experience this existence. There are many things at play; innumerable interconnections between all of us in this world. If one remembers the images of the Fates weaving the threads of mankind, they became an integrated spider's web endlessly criss-crossing over the Earth. Timing belongs to God, and should belong to God. (S)He is aware of all and knows all interconnections - past, present and future - within the Now. We are not that aware, yet we tend to try to make things of this world fit our timing, our schedule. If the sun does not shine when we want light, we create a light that will do the job instead. We are children of God, but we have so much more to learn. We need to step back, let go of our will and embrace God's will, for God's timing is always perfect.

Why this way? That is one of the biggest hurdles I've experienced. There is such an overwhelming tendency to do things MY way. In fact, I've also come to realize what a blessing NOT knowing something can be. Because if I did know the end results, where I need to be and what I need to do, I would try to do it MY way, which - because I do NOT see outside of time - more often than not gets things done wrong or even makes it worse. When I don't know, I just have to keep the blindfold on, place my hand in God's and say, "Where are we going now, Pari? How can I help?"

The ego is a small, blind thing; the Spirit within sees and can help us soar to what we truly are.

No comments:

Post a Comment