Thursday, April 26, 2012

Pray with Me

This week, a Twitter contact asked, "Will you pray with me?" After missing each other a few times online, we synched up. I wasn't quite sure what he wanted, but I've never turned down an opportunity to pray with someone or for someone. But it quickly became obvious, he was expecting me to take the lead.

He wanted me to say the words, to ask God to heal his father. I've never done that before. I've prayed many times, certainly. But that was by myself in the privacy of my heart. I've listened as other people prayed, praying with them.

But to be the one that speaks the words...?

I cannot tell you how small I felt in that moment. How... inconsequential. One of my brothers was placing his trust in me, asking me to lead him in prayers to our Father. How could I do this?

How would I know the right words? I really didn't know this person well. Should I say Father or Lord or God? Do I say Christ, Jesus or Yeshua? Should I say anything at all?

I walked away from the laptop -- trembling. I wanted to hide. I felt like a small child whose discovered she's responsible for something far more than she can handle.

I prayed.

I prayed for guidance. I prayed for words. I prayed for help.

I prayed for courage, for I did not want to leave my brother hanging, especially when it takes courage on his part to ask this of me.

Then I sat back at the computer and let the words come as they may, praying them as my fingers typed them.  Then I read through them twice more, praying them with all my heart.


Tears were streaming down my face before I finished typing and continued as I continued to pray. I felt... connected... to the one to whom my words were reaching.

For all the hemming and hawing beforehand, the words were simple and to the point. Broken into segments due to the nature of Twitter. This is what I DM'ed this person, not really knowing him, his dad or his family. I only knew he asked me to pray for his father's healing.
  • May Christ extend His healing hand and gently touch your father, granting strength to his heart and his body. May your father receive His healing.
  • May Love extend outward to encompass you and family too. May a circle of Love encompass your father and all. May hearts know Peace.
  • May all be guided in what's best at this time; may hearts find courage. May Love heal all rifts and bring all together in Christ's love.
  • Let that Love heal your father. Let his heart know Peace and his body know healing. May he take strength from Christ and family.
  • May there be a time of rejoicing in your hearts, replacing all fears and worry.
  • We ask this in the name of Jesus the Christ... Amen.
I spent the next half-hour worried and wondering. This was the first time I did this. Did I do it right? I didn't know for certain there were any rifts in the family, but for some reason I was aware there was something when I was typing. The healing needed to be on more than one level, but I wasn't sure how I was aware of this. At all.

I was pretty much blind as I could not see this person's face, nor hear his voice. Just the words on the screen. And I didn't see any response from him at all...

Thirty minutes later, I got a DM back "Bless You Amun"

I'm still not sure if I did it right. Doubt still plagues my mind. There is no "sure and easy" answer. I've gotten some reassurance that it does get easier with practice. That I did OK and confidence will come in time. No worries...

Though, I admit, I still feel like a kid whose training wheels were just taken off their bike.

2 comments:

  1. There is no right or wrong... you prayed from the heart.

    On spiritualityandpractice.com they had an online ecourse in intercessory prayer taught by the Rev. Jane Vennard who is a minister. I got more comfortable offering prayers both out loud and writing them out. I would recommend it if you are interested!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue.

      That will be quite useful, and I will certainly check it out.

      :D

      Delete