Monday, May 14, 2012

Squish!

As, the caption reads, "Yes, I did have my mammogram today." Or as I like to say among the ladies at work, "I took a break from the office to go SQUISH."

Between my biology and family history, I've a number of medical "factors" that put me at high risk for breast cancer, so I dutifully go at least once per year - often once every six months, as they continually find new and exciting things in those black and white images - starting with my baseline when I was 35!

Am I worried that I'll get it? No.

Odds are very high that I will get breast cancer. It's not quite a guarantee, but for me it's a matter of when rather than if. But I'm not worried at all. Really!

My mother is a breast cancer survivor, both sides, now in her 70's when she was diagnosed before menopause. It's actually one of the most treatable forms of cancer I know; one just needs to make sure you go in for the checkups and routine exams. The earlier anything is caught, the better your chances are. The rest is all about attitude!

Do I have it now? I don't know. But the tech saw something. In fact, I could see something that wasn't there - or at least as prominent - six months ago.

There are women I've known in life that panic and swear they are going to die from the minute anything remotely suggests they may have breast cancer. This is even before the first biopsy. I don't. In my family, we look the doctor in the eye and say, "OK. What are we going to do about it?"

If something does come of this malformation I saw in the image, God, Yeshua (Jesus), family and friends will see me through. I may suffer for a time; I may become sick for a duration if I have to go through treatment. But it is something I can live through.

What if something were to go wrong? What if the treatment doesn't work? What if the cancer spreads?

Unlike many of my other whining worries I post here, this is not one I go through. I know I can get through acute chronic pain and sickness; the last few years of my life have proven that. If anything, my biggest worry would be how do I cover my workload while going through treatment?

What if I die...?

Should I even bother to worry about this? After all, I could get hit by a car walking home today with the same results. I try to live every moment as if it's my last. I try to be prepared, like the ready bride. And if I die, should I be worried? I have a pretty good idea where I am going...

No, I am not worried. I understand that worry is a part of fear. I do not fear this - at all. But I have seen devastating results when people do fear it. But I look fear in the eye and laugh at it!

Let's see how far they can turn my double-D's into pancakes before they squish out the other side of the machine. :P

4 comments:

  1. That cartoon is too funny! I love your attitude towards this situation, you are an inspiration for other women who are going through this. We need to lean on God and his strength when we face the uncertainty of life for we are weak and he is strong! My prayers go out to you and may his blessings be upon your life each and every day.

    http://afragileclayjarwithatreasureinside.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hardest part are the long waits between the exam and the follow up when they finally tell you what is going on. But even in that, as with everything else, God is our strength and refuge. Some days he even provides us with a happy diversion from our own worries to help another. (See today's post.) :D

      Delete
  2. Hang in There Sweet Sister. Hold tight to your Faith. Praying for you. Know that All is as Should Be Even if We do Not Understand. Stay True and Challenge the Wall. Hold Onto Jesus' Hand and You Will Not Fall... Blessings and Love to You... Cheryl, aka Muffyjo on the Web

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Muffjo, and welcome to the blog.

      As I said in the post, this fight doesn't seem to bother me as much. I've seen my mom and others get through this (if it is cancer rather than just another calcium deposit or fibrosis). For me, the struggle is the day-to-day pain of IC/PBS that wears me down, particularly when there is a flare up.

      But I still hold tight to Jesus' hand and know I'll be OK. :D

      Delete