Thursday, February 16, 2012

White Lie?

There is an expression, "It's just a little white lie." This is used to indicate some admission that it is a lie, but apparently one that does little or no harm. Some would argue a lie is a lie. The law in the "Big 10" (Ten Commandments) is that we are not to bear any false witness (lie) against our neighbor. Originally I understood that to mean strictly along the lines of the hypocritical oath: do no harm. Then I discovered I can be quite good at lying, using more lies to cover up laziness, work missed due to addictions (see prior post) and other words used to get out of trouble that my actions have justifiably brought me. So I drew the line at "tell no lies - period."

I must confess that I have lied this week - several times on the same question. I am torn. The lies have produced good, but at the same time - I lied.

The day before Valentine's Day, I had purchased a bunch of mini-roses and had hung a small bouquet on each door for some women that work in the building that I know had no one to share valentine's day. Even their children were grown up and had sweethearts of their own. With each, I had also taped a note printed with the computer that read, "On this Valentine's Day, please remember..." on the outside. Inside, the little note card read, "You are a Blessing. And you are very Loved."

It was a simple, sweet, heartfelt sentiment left anonymously. I had also left one on my door as a deterrent from them guessing it was me.

The next morning, my husband surprised me with an assortment of balloon hearts, balloon flowers (plus real ones) and some fresh-baked cookies that were on my "safe" list of things I could eat with interstitial cystitis. Full of pride and joy at his creative creations, I brought some to the office to share with co-workers, including the ladies whom received the flowers. I had an early morning meeting offsite, so I arrived well after they did in the morning, arms full of balloon hearts and a plateful of sugar cookies. 

They asked if I knew who left the flowers. I lied and told them I did not...

One tried to sleuth out the mystery "cupid." She assumed it was one of the men down the hall. This pleased me. While that particular guy is kind-hearted, sometimes he says or does something that would rub someone the wrong way. I thought it best to let them believe that the flowers were from him, as it would help build relations in a positive way.

Yesterday, one of the ladies went up to the guy and gave him a big hug, thanking him for the flowers. He didn't know what she was talking about, but thanked her for the hug all the same. He's been lonely too...

So they continue to wonder who the mystery-giver is, and once again asked if I knew who it was. Once again, I had lied. Worse, I hinted that it may have been my boss, who was "in the area the night before." IRK! Why did I say that???

As you can see, one lie leads very quickly and easily to another, even when I am trying to do some good in this world. At this point, I can see two points to choose. Either I admit I was the mystery-giver, which ruins the "not letting one hand know what the other is doing." Or I determine ahead of time some way not to admit knowing while not speaking a falsehood.

Oh, what a twisted web we weave
While we try to deceive

Maybe telling the truth is the best path forward. I need to make a decision soon. The boss returns on Friday afternoon and I am sure the women will be asking questions then. 

At this point, all I can see in my mind is ... paperclips (see next blogpost).

No comments:

Post a Comment