Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Alternatives

This is more a footnote from the last post. While I had believed the missionary trip was only one week, I was thinking of out-of-the-box alternatives so I could contribute in some way.

For example, I could not go to Dallas, just meet up with the group in New York City and find my own transportation. They could even forgo the cost of food and sleeping area, as I could pack my own and stay with family just outside the city.

One idea that I may still try: I could work directly with Metro Ministries separate from the trip. I could go down before the mission trip to help set things up for the incoming missionaries. Or be there on certain days (easy commute from where I live for a day trip) when they needed an extra set of hands for setting up the carnival and other events. Or cleanup.

An idea that came to me yesterday afternoon, after I realized I could not do two-weeks. Metro Ministries teaches kids by presenting plays on broad sidewalks. While not too unlike the Morality Plays that once swept Europe in the Middle through Victorian ages, they have a simple play presenting the concepts of Christ, temptation and redemption.
.
I contacted the Global Expeditions group by email this morning, asking the rep to forward this idea: I write stories with some moral lesson embedded inside. I can rewrite the stories in the form of a play. Maybe they can use them. The story I gave as an example was The Lion's Estate.

Maybe this is a way I can help...

Thinking outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment