Thursday, May 16, 2013

Mom

After posting this blog post, a Twitter follower asked to adopt me as his mom. He's 28 years old, and in Africa.

While we considered adopting children of a different background - we considered CHILDREN. My concept of motherhood is sharing home and life with a child, raising to have the same values that I hold.

At 28, he lives outside his parents' home. He does not have regular contact with his mother, and thus seeks to adopt me as a mom as teacher and guide in his life.

Does age matter? I don't know. Though I am practically twice his age, old enough to be his mother.

The child I lost would have been six years old this 4 July. If all went according to plans, I would have known her personality well, and she would have been able to push my buttons. Even adopted children learns within a number of months once they move into your home.

I've been a big sister to many who do not share my biological family tree. Some showed up for dinner at my mom's house every night when I was a kid. Some I've adopted over the years.

I'm an aunt - biologically and otherwise - to dozens.

But a mom?

When I turned to Yeshua (Jesus) in prayer, I got a gentle but firm nudge to a different person to discuss this.

I'll give you three guesses... :)

The response was a slew of impressions but three clear and simple words: "Open your heart."

Despite the open windows as I drove down the highway at 65 mph, the Jeep filled with the scent of roses. Even in the spring, there are no roses lining the highway here...

While we are ALL brothers and sisters in this world, sometimes we need different relationships to round out our lives. There is one looking for a mom, and he has asked me to adopt him into my heart.

I think I shall...

2 comments: