Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meditation - Day 1

Last week, I learned how to set up "RSS feed" to follow a series of blogs, including those I cannot "follow" directly from my own blog website. One of the bookmarks I added was Jodi Chapman's Soul Speak, for I had bookmarked her post starting a Month of Meditation. I wanted to join in May with the rest, but things got in the way starting day one.

Something in me knew now was time for me to start the challenge. Friday, I wondered how I should start it, but I seemed to know that night I would start it Sunday (today). In fact, this morning's response to another blog and earlier posts are a strong indication there's a lot of negativity just below the surface.

After re-reading Jodi's blogpost, I sat quietly on the floor and tried to meditate. There were several things to blot out, as I strived to quiet my mind: cars driving by outside, the sounds from my computer as I waited for a friend's radio broadcast to start, the small child in the overhead apartment stomping around, and my own noisy thoughts.

But in the one - maybe one-and-a-half minutes - I gave it today, I was able to focus on my breathing, calm my mind and open my heart. I found my mind reached out in a double-set of prayers to the Trinity with words on its own. "Help guide me, Father. Please, God, guide me. // Help guide me, Lord. Please, Brother, guide me. // Help guide me, Spirit. Please, Eternal Guide, help me."

I felt calm. I felt energized. In fact, it seemed like there was a great deal of energy coursing all through my body, pouring into my head and heart and streaming out of my palms and bottom of my feet. I felt happy, and quite motivated to get up and do something. Yet not "antsy."

At that moment, my friend's radio broadcast had started, and time for meditation was done. But the inner peace and joy is still with me.

I then read other's posts on how their first day of meditation went. There were many good suggestions, but one really appealed to me; I will try this tomorrow. On the inhale, think the word "Acceptance." On the exhale, think the word "Compassion." In the pause between, think the word "Rest." Though, I may substitute the word "Rest" for "Peace."

We'll see what tomorrow brings. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment