Saturday, October 13, 2012

Finding Joy

Yesterday, a friend's email shared a presentation on building a joyful community. The word "joy" stuck in my mind, and brought up a familiar taunt: When are you really Joyful?

Despite my chipper attitude on twitter (pun intended), I experience doubt, depression and deep sadness. Growing up outcast and all-but-completely rejected by my own family, I have scars that never fully healed. I also have few friends I can turn to when I need help. I struggle financially to meet basic needs. So very easily I can nod in assent to those words and wonder: When am I really joyful? Do I even know what joy - true JOY - is?

Then a confident, if quiet, Voice answers: Joy is here, but I stubbornly hold myself away, while I put faith in the lies.

While I believe that I have not found true Joy, or that the pains from today or my past can prevent me from being joyful, I will not find Joy - only the taunts.

I need to stop listening to the lies.

There is One that has undergone pain far beyond anything my mind can understand or imagine - and that One experiences an insurmountable and Eternal JOY.

And He doesn't want to experience this alone...

Nor are we required to wait until a point beyond our own death to do so.

I find Joy in this life that taunts want me to forget:

When I spend time in the morning just sitting with God (see earlier post), or engage in a conversation with a sister or brother, there is simple Joy.

When I share Blessings in rhyme on Twitter, or write stories or blog posts, my husband notes how my face lights up with a big smile.

When I pray, there is Peace. And when I lean into that Eternal Peace and Love, my soul sings with such JOY!

May you share that same Joy, this day and always. It's there for us all ~ reach for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment