Saturday, October 13, 2012

What's In a Name

Recently I've been working with Spreading Joy Corp to get a collection of my tweets published as a book. I wanted to publish it anonymously with a small reference to @JesusSister, as the focus - and credit - should be God and Christ, not me.

The proof came from the printer with my full legal name on the cover and book spine. My face fell when I realized this.

I was ready to request my name removed, despite observations that it works well in the cover layout and gives future publications a boost. But before I put my foot down into a bucket of concrete stubbornness, I sought some insight through prayer.

I was overruled. I don't fully know why, but God wants my name there.

I reached a point where I can not always hide behind online names, and must publicly acknowledge what I believe.

In the Northeastern US, we separate business and religious aspects of our lives. With this book published, my legal name will be associated with Christ's teachings, which may hinder applications for Human Resources or management positions.

With all that God gave me, this is a small thing I can offer in return. Did I not say this book should be about God, not me? It's about time that I incorporate that philosophy into the rest of my life. It's about God, not me.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome~! You go Girl. Be Proud of your Name. It is a Verbal and Written Extension of Your Very Existence on Earth... It is a wonderful name! To really enjoy love from others one must first love Self. God does not make mistakes. You are made in his image. Your Light Shines through your Witness and Being. Blessings on you and your new book. P.S. I bought a copy just now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Muffyjo. There are times that I need it too.

    I hope the book brings you many smiles. It was YOUR idea that started it off. You deserve to shine at the top of the dedication page. :D

    ReplyDelete